We are delighted to announce that the six General Partners of Andreessen Horowitz, with our families, are all committing to donate at least half of all income from our venture capital careers to philanthropic causes during our lifetimes.
The reason is simple. We are fortunate to work with some of the best entrepreneurs and technologists in the world, and in the process help create great and valuable companies. That activity, done well over decades, can generate a lot of money that can then be productively deployed philanthropically back into the society that makes it all possible. We love participating in this process, and we hope that our philanthropy can, over time, help make the world a better place.
As an initial catalyst, we are making an immediate group donation of $1 million to a set of six vital Silicon Valley-related nonprofit organizations. Those causes, and their respective sponsors, are:
- Ben and Felicia Horowitz: Via Services
- Jeff and Karen Jordan: Ecumenical Hunger Program
- John O’Farrell and Gloria Principe: Second Harvest Food Bank
- Marc and Laura Andreessen: Fresh Lifelines for Youth
- Peter and Martha Levine: Canopy
- Scott and Pamela Weiss: The Shelter Network
Ben, Jeff, John, Marc, Peter, and Scott